jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Look Again - Lisa Scottoline Originally published at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

This book was weird at first because I didn't think it started off that well. She used description in the wrong way, bogging down her sentences and what she was trying to get across. After the first few chapters though, things went much more smoothly. Other than the general predictability of the book, I thought it was pretty good and very thought provoking. The general summary is that Ellen Gleeson, a beautiful reporter is content with her life. She has a job, a son and a hot boss, but when she recieves a HAVE YOU SEEN THIS CHILD? card in the mail that looks eerily similiar to her son, things start to get a little complicated. Because Ellen is a reporter she has a curious nature about her, and she stops at nothing to find out the truth about the little boy on the back of the card until she realizes she may not want to know anymore. It wasn't the plot or the characters that kept me reading, it was the one single thought of "what would I do if I adopted a child that really wasn't supposed to be up for adoption?" Scottoline does a good job of challenging the reader as to what they would do in the situation. I see a little bit of Jodi Picoult play going on, and there is even the "lawyering" part of the book which is also similar to Jodi Picoult's books. Overall, the book was an enjoyable read, fast and made me think about the topic after I was through reading it.