jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

The Likeness - Tana French Originally published at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

I read the first book In the Woods that featured the protagonist Detective Cassie Maddox, who also is the main protagonist in The Likeness. Fresh off a devastating murder case from the first book, this novel starts off where the last one ended. Maddox is now in Domestic Violence, in a relationship with level headed Detective Sam O'Neil and starting to get her life back together when a little bit of the past comes back to haunt her. Frank, a complicated character is introduced and he is one of those characters you love and hate at the same time. He drags Cassie and Sam into an undercover operation that could threaten everything Cassie believed about herself and who she really is.

I really enjoyed French's first book, and The Likeness was just as good. French weaves a story with such a beautiful voice and lyrical prose. The most amazing thing about her writing is that she is able to bring the reader into the story and before you know it, you feel like you are actually IN the mix of all the action happening. Both novels have been set in Ireland, and French expertly showcases the dialect, the mannerisms and the cultural differences of the Irish. By the end of the book I was reading it with an Irish accent in my head! This isn't one of those whodunit books, it is pretty obvious from the beginning who killed Lexie, but it's the reasoning, and the back story that makes this book different. I really enjoyed this book, and can't wait for the next book Faithful Place which will focus on Frank's story. If you like mystery novels with a lot of personality, I recommend this book!