jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

First We Read, Then We Write: Emerson on the Creative Process - Robert D. Richardson Originally published at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

It was nice to break away from fiction for a bit and pick up something different. I thought maybe giving this book a try would relate to my writing classes I'm taking this semester. While not 100% as helpful as I would have liked, I did enjoy what Richardson was trying to get across. The cool thing about this book is that you learn almost as much about Ralph Waldo Emerson as you do the writing process. It's kind of amazing actually. When Richardson talks about how Emerson related nature to writing, I could totally understand where Emerson got his inspiration. It was nice to get writing advice that was a little different than I'm used to.

It's hard to rate this book because my grading scale doesn't really have the same standards that non-fictions has...so I'm just going to say that this was a great learning experience and I would highly recommend this book to any writers out there who enjoy Emerson, nature and learning about different writing processes.

*I received this book free from the publisher through www.netgalley.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.