jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

You Are My Only - Beth Kephart Originally published at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

I seriously read You Are My Only by Beth Kephart in less than 3 hrs. I ate Kephart's words like I was facing starvation. It was THAT good.

The Good: First of all, Beth Kephart's writing is brilliantly unique. The opening chapter takes a few pages to get used to the writing, but the sentences are short, choppy and insanely beautiful. The way the sentences flow match the character, Emmy Rane perfectly. The alternating chapters belong to another character, Sophie and the language/writing of those chapters also match Sophie so well. The minor characters are wonderful, developed thoroughly, even though they are still minor characters and by the end of the novel, I really got a sense of who Emmy and Sophie were. I love that some of the issues in the book are intense but the novel doesn't feel bogged down by the intensity. It's a fairly light read actually despite some of the subject matter. I think the thing I loved most about the novel was that Kephart was able to tell a suspenseful, magical novel without it getting too long, too over dramatic or too depressing. Kephart's story is a fictitious story that gets right to the point. There are no scenes that are extraneous and there is nothing that is out of place. The novel is both heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.

The Bad: Not too much bad to say about this novel however I do wish Kephart would have explored Sohpie's mother and the reason she is the way she is. I know we sort of get that, but as a reader, I want more. I want to get into her head and know exactly what she thinks.

Overall...another great book! This is an insanely quick read and I give it an A!

**I received this book free from the publisher through www.netgalley.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.