jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Misfit - Jon Skovron Originally published at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

The Good: I love the name Jael. Love it love it love it. I think it's one of the prettiest names I've heard in a long time. I also LOVED the concept of this book and I can totally appreciate where Skovron wanted to go with this novel. Everyone, at some point has felt like a outsider or "misfit" and I really think Skovron is targeting lots of teenagers who do feel like a misfit more often than not. I like that a teenager who feels so alone can pick up a book like this and feel, at least for the moments while they are reading it, that they are not alone.

The Bad: I was really looking forward to reading this book but it really wasn't my cup of tea at all. I thought the writing was a little on the younger YA side. It was hard to stay focused because I felt like the book was targeted more towards young middle school age kids. (And maybe that's what it's supposed to be and I missed the memo?) Also, there were TOO many quote tags. Before or after each character spoke there was a says or said. It was driving me nuts. It really messed up the flow of the book when I was trying to concentrate on the lines. Another thing that really tripped me up was the first half of the book laid on the religious tones way to thickly. This book had such great potential it really saddens me that it didn't live up to my expectations. I felt that the entire novel was a little bit rushed and it sounded more like a rough draft than a final draft. I see a lot of potential for author Jon Skovron but I might be more cautious before picking up his next novel.

Overall, this really wasn't a book for me but I can appreciate the paranormal YA tones it had going on. I think this book would be better for a younger audience, more like 5th and 6th graders but I would give this book a D+

*I received this book free from the publisher through www.netgalley.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.