jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Calli - Jessica Lee Anderson Originally published at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

The Good: Okay first off, I loved that the parents in the novel were lesbians. There are not many novels where the parents are gay and it's always saddened me that there isn't more of a presence for them in novels. I thought that the author did a great job navigating both the positive and negative aspects of gay parents. I also thought Anderson's treatment of the two foster children were pretty believable. I like that she had one character that was kind of the stereotypical foster kid that is always angry and then a character that was the type of foster child that wants to be with a new family and appreciates being loved and taken care of. The other thing I really enjoyed about the novel was the format in which it was written in. Kind of like a series of scenes almost. The titles almost foreshadow what the chapter is about.

The Bad: This book was written about a 15 year old...but it also seems like it was written BY a 15 year old. The sentence structure, grammar and dialogue sounds so cliche and cheesy to me that it completely took the "realness" out of the characters for me. There were so many lines in the book where I wanted to pull my hair out and ask the author why she thought that sentence sounded REAL. Even the internal struggle wasn't that interesting because it just didn't seem real to me. Everything felt very synthetic, as if the author were trying too hard to create the perfect 15 year old or the perfect high school and teenage atmosphere.

While I appreciate the author's attempt at creating a YA novel with some real issues, I just don't think she executed it all that well. I would give this book a D+

**I received this book free from the publisher through www.netgalley.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.