jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Sweet Sanctuary (Women of Faith (Thomas Nelson)) - Sheila Walsh, Cindy Martinusen-Coloma, Kathryn Cushman Originally published at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

Wren ( love her name) is a single mom to Charlie and the pair of them live in small town Maine. When her grandmother Ruth shows up unannounced and demands a family gathering for her birthday party, Wren fears the worst as the entire family hasn't gotten along in years because of deep rooted secrets.

The Good: Wren is exactly like me minus all the Christian stuff. She is a librarian, (I wish that was my job!) she loves books and refers to her favorite characters when trying to solve problems. She is detailed oriented, an early bird and loves her coffee. I loved Wren if she hadn't talked to God every 10th sentence. I also love one of the main themes that the novel brought up. Technology. Wren struggles with the ever changing, aggressive and impeding technology especially when related to library and books. She makes a statement about the look, smell and feel of books and a library and she can't fathom how anyone could ever want to replace it with computers or e-readers. I agree. Right now I can't fathom going completely electronic. I hate the idea. I like that they addressed it in the novel.

The Bad: I have to say that every 5th or 6th page I was literally skipping passages because of the latent and overbearing religious themes. It was God this and God that. I COULD NOT STAND IT. It didn't even seem to fit into the story. It was like the authors were trying to write a compelling story, remembered that they were Christian writers and had to quick add in passages. They were out of place and really not needed. Besides the religious stuff, the entire novel we know that the MC Wren is harboring a secret...and the way they build it up makes it seem like its going to be this really tragic awful secret. I just wasn't impressed with the "secret" and all that it supposedly caused.

Like I said earlier, it's so hard to review this book because I loved some aspects so fiercely but on the same strand there were so many things I could not stand. I would give this book a D because there were more things I disliked about it than enjoyed.

**Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.