jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

The Scent of Rain and Lightning: A Novel - Nancy Pickard Originally published at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

I read Scent of Rain and Lighting by Nancy Pickard. Okay, firstly I did enjoy this book. It was a mystery book and it was written cleverly enough to keep my attention...especially while walking on the tread, but it also kept me curious for the "whodunit" aspect. In fact...I'm usually pretty good at determining who dun it but the twist at the end caught me. I liked the characters but my big critique is that they weren't very developed. She could have spent much more time delving into the characters and giving me a real sense of who they were. By the end of novel I didn't really feel invested in them because I didn't know them. Secondly...the writing was a bit juvenile. There were some chapters that I literally laughed out loud and wondered if my little sister had written it. Lastly... the minor love story that happens is not at all believable. In fact..it is not executed well at all. Like I've said many times before in regards to the advice I received from a brilliant professor: If you are a great writer..you can make your audience believe anything. They will eat up whatever concocted story you've made because you're writing is just THAT good. And that's the problem with a lot of writers these days. They aren't writing the unbelievable things well enough...so their readers don't believe them, thus leaving the reader disappointed. So overall I would probably give this book a C+.