jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Will Grayson, Will Grayson - 'John Green',  'David Levithan' Originally published at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

This novel is about two young men both named Will Grayson. It's written by John Green and David Levithan. They alternate chapters. One Will Grayson is snarky, cynical and best friends with Tiny Cooper who is gay. The other Will Grayson is depressed, gay and lonely. Upon a chance meeting in Chicago the two Will Grayson's become friends and soon their lives become intertwined for various reasons. Here's what I like about the book: you can totally see which chapters are written by John Green, and those are my favorite ones. You can almost make an entire story just using his chapters, and I would have liked it just the same. His characters are so witty, deep and relatable you can't help but fall in love with them. What I didn't like about the book: Wasn't a fan of David Levithan chapters towards the beginning. It gets better once the plot is furthered but his chapters leave quite a bit to be desired. Overall though, the book is a quick read, very funny and a touching story about two young men who are lost. Lost in the life they lead, lost in who they are and lost in the way they should overcome their obstacles. Its refreshing to see a story from both perspectives of a straight and gay male character. I haven't seen that many gay characters pop up in the fiction I've read in the last couple years. So if you are looking for a quick read, and you're a fan of John Green, I recommend this book.