jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern Originally posted at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

This book has been one of the biggest talked about books this year and I couldn't WAIT to get my hands on it. I'm always nervous about reading a book with so much hype about it but this one did NOT disappoint!

The Good: Where to even start?! First of all if the concept, characters and plot wasn't enough the language. Oh my god, the language. One of the most beautifully written novels I've read in a VERY long time. You would think this is Morgenstern's tenth novel...not her first. I am usually the type of reader who flies through books, because I can. And I'm a fast reader. But with The Night Circus, I took my sweet time reading it because I was literally savoring the sentences. Some of the sentences were like delicious, moist steaks dripping with literary juice. Yum. The setting is tremendously amazing. We've all read books about the circus no? Well this setting is beyond the circus... the circus is EVERYTHING. It's a completely beautiful, crazy world for the characters. I love every stinking inch of that damn circus. Had I been a character in the novel, I would have been decked out in red and called a Rêveur. (In the book that is someone who adores the circus and follows it around like a groupie and then writes reviews on it. So basically a blogger in circus land.) I know that some people had a hard time becoming invested in Marco and Celia's love affair but it came easily to me. I found them delightfully lovely and completely in love. Their love for each other was splendid and I love the fact that their relationship is doomed from the very beginning, an inevitable escape. But they find a way to cheat the system. I love that. I also loved SO many of the other characters. Bailey, Poppet and Widget. I love Herr Theisen and so many others. Have I not convinced you yet? Luckily, I have more good things to say about the book. Not only is the writing beautiful, but the comedic timing is perfect. There are seriously some lines that I laughed out loud at. There is quite a bit of tongue-in-cheek references and I find it very sneaky and very craftily done. Also the dialogue in the book is some of the best dialogue I've seen in a novel. I felt like I was watching a movie of the characters interacting rather than reading it. It was so easy to imagine the scene right in front of my eyes...which is why I'm not surprised that the movie rights have already sold to Summit and it will be made in a movie. I have no doubt that it will translate beautifully to the big screen. Morgenstern did awesome with her villains. They were creepy in that I-can't-believe-they-are-acting-and-saying-that kind of way. Morgenstern was able to capture the essence of being evil without having to make her characters into literally monsters, ghosts etc. I nearly tore my hair out when I was only several pages from the ending because I just did NOT want it to end. I wanted to live in the circus forever. Perhaps that is why my dream the night I finished the book contained vivid images of a black and white themed circus.

The Bad: Really, I have nothing bad to say about this book!

Overall, this book has shot to the top of my favorites and I highly recommend it. I know it's not going to be a book for everyone and I'm sure there are many people who will disagree with my view of the book but I cannot contain my love of this novel! A+!!