jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Dearly, Departed - Lia Habel Originally posted at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

This book was a first for me in two ways. Steampunk and Zombies. I read a ton...I mean.. A TON... and yet I've managed to not come across either of those things. Well after reading Dearly, Departed I am pretty sure I'm no longer going to ignore those genres, because this book was AWESOME

The Good: Firstly, the setting was pretty ingenious. I loved that this is taking place in 2195 and it's a throwback to the Victorian age. At times, this was kind of confusing because the views and language stayed pretty true to the Victorian culture but then all this technology talk would start and it brings you back to the future. I actually kind of liked this mixture. The novel is not only well-written but the wittiness of the writing is fabulous. I loved the way the author made me laugh. The characters are all so well done and thought out, but my heart fell for Bram. At first, I was kinda grossed out by the fact that I was swooning over a Zombie but after a while, kind of like Nora, he had grown on me. I love the crazy cast of characters in this novel and I like the way the Zombie's were introduced in this sort of believable way. I also like that the Zombie's aren't grouped together as one lump species. Some of them become "undead" with the same personality they died with and some become "undead" and go nutso. Kind of like real life eh? There were a few little sub plot things that I caught that made me enjoy this story... there is an element of revenge in the novel that I don't think many people realize how much deeper this makes the story. It totally adds another element on to the plot as well as a part where humanity shows through. There is a point, at the end, where I think Habel did an extremely good job showing just how amazing some people can be despite the odds. Lastly, I happen to adore this cover but I've seen some other ones floating around that are NOT this lovely. I think that this cover represents Nora and I think it does a great job.

The Bad: While I enjoyed Pamela's character, I felt like that whole side story was just... out of place. I didn't exactly know why Habel spent so much time on her survival story or the bitchy blonde girl who hates both Pam and Nora and even Mr. Allister who is a douche bag. Really would have liked to see further explanation for why they were such a focus for the book and why we didn't see more of them at the end.

Overall, I really did enjoy this book and it supplied such a good vibe for Zombies/Steampunk novels. I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for other books like this one! I give this book an A-!!!

**I received this book free from the publisher through www.netgalley.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.