jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Pulp and Paper - Josh Rolnick Originally posted at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

This book of short stories was a pleasant surprise for me as it was published by University of Iowa Press and I really appreciate the exposure UI Press gives up and coming authors.

The Good: I think it takes a talented writer to write short stories that not only have tightly woven plots but characters with depth and a story to tell. I know short stories are a hard sell for me usually because I love to become invested in the story and the characters and obviously I don't get that as much with a short story. This collection of stories however are at times so well written, I am actually angry when I come to the end because I want more. Pulp and Paper is split into two sections... 4 stories in the New Jersey section and 4 stories in the New York section. I personally, thought the New Jersey stories were better. I found Rolnick's ability to make his characters resonate with the readers very impressive and I really enjoyed this collection of short stories!

The Bad: There were a couple of stories that hindered on being boring and this was one of the times I was glad I was reading a book of short stories because I knew that I had other stories to look forward to.

Overall this was a well written and interesting book of short stories and I would recommend it for a quick and brief look at the author, Josh Rolnick. I would definitely be willing to read anything this author puts out. I give this book a B+.

**I received this book free from the publisher through www.netgalley.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.