jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Unearthly - Cynthia Hand Originally posted at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

There are so many things to say about Unearthly by Cynthia Hand that I'm not sure I've given myself enough time to gather my thoughts. I was VERY reluctant when I started this novel because of two reasons: everyone raved about it and it's about angels. I always get really freaked out about those two things. Not that angels freak me out, but sometimes their connotations do. (The whole religious thing ya know?) But I adored this novel, plain and simple. It exceeded all my expectations!

The Good: Okay, so I know a lot of people will disagree with me here, but this novel was written in first person present tense...I LOVED THIS! The writing flowed so well I don't think I would have noticed except that I've been paying attention to POV's and Tenses since I started working on my own novel. I think the author really showed how well first person present tense can work. I absolutely loved the characters in this novel, especially Clara and Tucker. I thought Clara was a wonderful protagonist. She wasn't annoying, too flawed, too perfect. She was just right. I liked her voice. I loved the love triangle going on in the novel and I LOVE that there was no insta-love. Once I got into the novel, the premise became more interesting to me because I realized it wasn't based on religion. While there was a few mentions here and there of God and religion, it wasn't over the top or even preachy. Loved that. I really respect an author and novel that can use biblical images and not relate it back to religion. That takes a skilled writer. I thought the supporting characters were great and I loved Angela. Clara's mother kinda bothered me at times (but I think that's how we're supposed to feel about her) and I think the author did a great job of having the mom offer up just enough to Clara so she knows shes angel but kept her in the dark enough to keep the story interesting. I think this is why Unearthly stands out among other YA angel novels... because Clara already knows she's part angel...there isn't some huge revelation half-way through the novel. The novel was well-written, the plot fast-paced and the story super interesting! I can't wait to read Hallowed now!

The Bad: I honestly don't have really anything negative to say about this novel! I really enjoyed reading it!

Overall, if you are a YA fan and like the whole fallen angel story- this book is RIGHT up your alley! I highly recommend this one! A!