jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Open Minds - Susan Kaye Quinn Originally published at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

I could barely wait until today to post my review of this awesome book!!

The Good: Talk about mindjacking…I’m not entirely sure Susan Kaye Quinn didn’t jack into my mind herself to make me fall in love with this book! This book is full of awesome. Firstly, the concept was fresh and unique…we’ve all heard of “mind readers” but this is a new take on it with a twist. Quinn created a totally believable world where the norm is being able to read minds and those who can’t are the abnormal. I’m totally into the whole female-kick-ass-main-character right now and Kira, the main character in this novel is totally kick ass. She starts out thinking she is a “zero” (someone who can’t read minds) until she meets Simon, the bad buy with a good heart, who tells her she is way different than the “readers,” she is a “mind jacker.” Mind jacking…totally cool right? Wouldn’t you like to bust into someone’s mind and make them believe or do things? It would be an awesome ability, but scary too. That’s exactly the type of conflict Quinn creates in Open Minds. I liked the interaction between Kira and her Dad and I feel like there is more to his story than what Quinn allowed us to see in this book. I also feel like this book is another great example of the dominance the government could have over us. I really do think that the government is just biding their time, waiting for a catastrophic world even to happen and then they will take over everything. But that’s just me being cynical. Anyways…my point is that this book is a great example of how things could be if people started to develop abilities like mind reading and mind jacking. There’s a little bit of everything in this novel… romance, comedy, murder, dystopian-ish elements. I totally fell in love with Kira and her best friend Raf and at the end I didn’t want it to end! Of course since this book belongs in the series, I’m anxiously awaiting the next one!

The Bad: Not too much to say about this book, although I would have liked to see some relationships expanded. The relationship between Kira and her Dad is interesting and I think Quinn could have really gotten some great material out of exploring their back story.

Overall I was seriously impressed with this book and I can’t wait for the next book, Closed Hearts! I give this book and A!

*I would like to thank Susan Kaye Quinn for allowing me to read and review this novel. I was not required to write a positive review, however in this case, the book deserves such high praise!