jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Spear of Seth - Rene Daniel Originally published at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

I love me Indiana Jones themed books so this one seemed right up my alley. The first thing I noticed about this novel is that the cover does not look like a self-published book at all! The cover rocks! As soon as I read the blurb, I was excited to jump in!

The Good: So not only do I LOVE Indiana Jones, I also love all things Egyptian. Something about it has fascinated me all my life. So the mixture of the two in this novel really brought it to life. I love the alternating chapters and I think the character development was done really well. Alex is by far my favorite character. I just adore him. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that the characters in this novel are college aged. It's such a refreshing change from the YA books with typical aged characters. Honestly, I'm a little tired of reading about them. But it was so nice to get a different viewpoint for a change. The action and adventure was marvelous in this novel, it was fast paced and kept me on the edge of my seat. I wanted to get through it so fast because I wanted to know what happens!

The Bad: There were a few times I thought the novel could have used another round of edits. In the beginning, the dialogue was a little stilting because it seemed so rigid and non realistic. Thankfully, it got better as the novel went on!

Overall, I'd say this was an excellent novel and SUCH a pleasant surprise for a self-published novel. If you're a fan of Indiana Jones, myths, legends and adventures then you will LOVE this novel! B+

**I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review. All the opinions are my own and I was not obligated to write a favorable review.