jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Cinder - Marissa Meyer Originally published at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

I'm a sucker for old classics that are revamped and redone. There are always worries of course about doing it correctly but the minute I read the blurb about Marissa Meyer's Cinder, I was not one bit concerned. It seemed so awesomely different that I felt even if it didn't resemble the story of Cinderella, the uniqueness of the story would be enough. Well not only did it hit the mark on resembling Cinderella, but it was a totally awesome remake. I couldn't put this book down!

The Good: Firstly, this book made me incredibly jealous that I didn't come up with this idea first. I could not have thought of a crazier but more awesome combination in regards to a Cinderella remake. I honestly thought all of the characters were so well done and Meyer has a way with creating characters that really stick with you. I loved Cinder, Iko, Prince Kai and Peony. All the supporting characters were awesome as well. Meyer achieved the goal of making me LOATHE Cinder's stepmother as well as Queen Levana. The world building in this novel is incredible. It was so detailed and unique, and at some points, I almost felt like such a place existed. In kind of a scary moment, I actually thought that at some point in the very far future, we might actually have human's that are part machine. We already have people with artificial limbs...why can't some of the elements of the book actually come true? I thought it was fun to think of a world like this. I adored the romance element between Prince Kai and Cinder even though it was predictable. I still enjoy when the underdog is gushed about and adored. It makes all of us nerdy, underdog girls feel a bit better about our selves. Like if it happens in a really awesome novel, it will for sure happen to us. That's beside the point though, the romance was great because it wasn't insta-love. In fact, I believe there is more of the relationship to come in the next couple books. I thought Cinder's wit and humor was awesome and I just genuinely loved her and loved this book. It was really such a unique YA book!

The Bad: There weren't too many things I disliked about this novel but two things that really irritated me. The first one is that there is a point in the novel where Cinder has to go back to her stepmother after she's pretty much been thrown out. But Cinder is almost submissive to her stepmother afterwards! To me, it just doesn't mesh with the rest of her characteristics in the book. There were SO many other ways she could have not been under her thumb. But that's probably just a personal glitch for me. The other thing was the ending. The cliffhanger at the end was predictable and cut too cleanly for my tastes. If you are going to have another book, you need to make the ending just a little messy so it keeps the readers on the toes. I'm looking forward to the next books of course, but I wish Meyer would have ended this one with a bang!

Overall, I really enjoyed this novel and I can't wait for the second one to come out!! A totally new and fresh YA novel that I would highly recommend! A!!

**I received this book free from the publisher through www.netgalley.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.