jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

One More River - Mary Glickman Posted at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

The blurb had me interested the moment I saw that the setting was Mississippi and the time period was the 1960's. I love the south and I love reading about that time period.

The Good: Where do I start? The beautiful descriptions of the south immediately caught my attention and drew me into the novel. But more then the setting, the characters of Mickey Moe Levy and Laura Anne made me fall in love with this novel. Actually the thing I really enjoyed about this novel is that the characters go against everything we know about people in the south in the 1960's. Mickey Moe and Laura Anne defy their parents. Not just once. Several times. A white man falling in love with a black woman and not regreting it once? Mostly unheard of. That's what makes this novel great. It's written in a way that makes you feel so damn sorry for Bernard Levy. In the beginning, I thought it was going to be Mickey Moe's story being told, but after I finished, I realized it was as much his father's story as it was Mickey's. The alternating time/pov chapters really give an insight into the characters and it helps piece everything together. I thought story was really a nice way to showcase a different dynamic for a "Southern" novel.

The Bad: The most ANNOYING thing in this entire novel was the lack of quotation marks. It was very difficult at first to tell who was talking and what was internal dialogue. Eventually I got used to it and by the end I kind of forgot that there wasn't quotation marks. But the first 80ish pages it was super annoying.

Overall, I really enjoyed this novel and particularly LOVED the setting and the author's writing. This one is definitely worth your time! I give it an A-!

**I received this book free from the publisher through www.netgalley.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.