jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Seth Grahame-Smith Originally posted at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

So... I've been waiting for the time to read this novel and when I found it on sale at Barnes and Noble as an audio book. I actually wanted to read this before it became a movie, but since the movie was coming out, I thought it was the perfect time to start listening to the book during my work commute. I have to say that I absolutely LOVED this book. Loved it. I'll admit, I wasn't sure I was going to but I actually fell in love with it.

The Good: I loved loved loved that the Lincoln's "fictional" story worked seamlessly with Lincoln's "real" story. If I didn't know the truth (or so we think) that Vampire's don't exist, I would think this story was true. It sucked me in from the first chapter. There were a ton of little things that made me adore this story. The appearance of one Edgar Allen Poe, the language was brilliantly perfect for the time and there were some really witty parts actually. I really liked Henry's character. He kind of reminds me of Louis from Interview with a Vampire. You know that mysterious but intelligent kind of vampire that has done wrong but regrets his wrong doing and vows to make it right? That's totally Henry in this novel! I love it. I really enjoyed the fact that Abe is a vampire hunter yet he does so with his natural abilities. He doesn't have any magic...he uses his brute strength and cunning abilities to hunt down the vampires. Mostly, I just really enjoyed getting to know President Lincoln in the most basic sense because I probably would have never picked up a biography of him to just read. I have heard some people complain about the narrator and while he wasn't perfect, I didn't mind him so much. Especially when he talked in his Abe voice. I thought it was kind of cute. There was one line that was repeated several times throughout the novel and I love the sentiment of it. Henry tells Abe that he's not going to kill him because, "Some people are just too interesting to die." How awesome is that?! I really enjoyed this novel and I can't wait to see the movie. I'm hoping it will be as good as the audio book was.

The Bad: I thought towards the ending-ish it got a little long and drawn out. I think it was about the 3rd to last CD and I was tempted to stop listening but I knew I had to get to the end to finish it. The only other thing that was bothersome in the audio book format is keeping some characters straight. I had a bit of trouble remembering some of Abe's political friends towards the end but at least all the really important people I kept track of.

Overall, this book FAR surpassed my expectations. I wasn't sure it was going to be my cup of tea, but I really enjoyed it and it made my daily commute feel like a 10 minute drive instead of an hour! I give it a B+!