jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Touch of Power - Maria V. Snyder Originally posted on my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

I haven't taken a trip down fantasy lane in a while, so this book was a bit of a refresher for me. Although this was a fantasy novel, I found that it spoke to me as almost a commentary on human nature. It's in our nature to blame certain people or groups of people for unexplained things like disease and sickness. I think this book is a perfect example of how a hundred years from now, kids who read this book will be able to look back at the time period and see how the novel related to the era.

I really liked Avry. I thought she was a very toned down version of Katniss from Hunger Games or Lena from Delirium. She had that "bad-assery" nature about her but she's much more nurturing and sweet than they are. I was annoyed and perturbed by Kerrick (as I think Snyder wanted me to be) but I loved Belen. Total sweetheart. He is funny too. Snyder did pretty well with the world-building and I felt like I was in the Nine Mountains or Fifteen Realms with the characters in the book. There's also MAGIC! Yay! I haven't read a book with actual magic for a while and I was pleasantly surprised to welcome its return back into my life. The adventure and journey are palpable and it's easy to see how tight the bond becomes between Avry and some of the characters.

My main complaint about this novel is the rollercoaster feel of it. It really falls into peaks and valleys as far as my interest goes. I found myself setting it down for a while and not picking it back up because my interest had waned and then picking it back up and reading steadily until I hit another low point and then I'd set it down for another while. The consistency was a bit of an issue for me, but nothing that totally hindered my ability to read and finish the novel.

Overall, I thought this was a pleasant refresher from my contemporary and dystopian novel rut I've been in and I've heard great things about Maria Snyder's Poison Study series is amazing, so I might have to check that out!

**I received this book free from the publisher through www.netgalley.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.