jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Let's Get Digital: How To Self-Publish, And Why You Should (Let's Get Digital, #1) - David Gaughran Originally posted on my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

This book came HIGHLY recommended as I'm gathering all the appropriate information to make an well researched decision on whether or not I want to self-publish. I've been researching for quite a while now but any little bit helps I think. This was the best self-publishing self help book I've read thus far.

I've never seen the argument for self-publishing as clear or laid out as it was in this book. The way the author puts everything on the table makes it one of those "duh-I-can't-believe-I-didn't-see-it-before" kind of books. Everything is so cut and dried, actual figures and evidence to back up his claims. He mentions things I never even thought about when it comes to self-publishing. If I had my qualms and doubts before, this book served to enforce the decision I've been feeling all along. I can't talk to anyone who is interested in self-publishing without mentioning this book. It was amazing. Though it was fairly short, it was worth every penny and this guy knows his stuff. The cool thing is that he found out through the honest-hard-work kind of way. He's not just some guy who is trying to cash in on the self-publishing self help cow. Everything he says is from experience, research and fact & figures. Seriously...if you are considering self-publishing. This is the one you need to read.

Not really anything bad to say about this one, the only thing I was missing was a bit more resource information. Like he mentions how important editors and cover artists are and I think it would have been beneficial to readers to get more information on how to find these type of services.... for me that has been the hardest part of preparing to self-publish... finding the appropriate and respected resources to get it all together. Maybe he will update to another edition and add that information in... also... this must have been published before The Justice Department came back and sued all the big publishers for the whole Agency Model pricing of ebooks.... in the book it still had the big publishers winning against Amazon and that's no longer the case.

Overall... this is THE BEST self-publishing help book on the market right now. It's brief, accurate, to the point and nicely priced. I highly highly highly recommend it if you're even a bit interested in self-publishing!