jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn Originally posted at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

This book. Seriously. This book. It was ALL everyone could talk about and since I've been a Gillian Flynn fan since her first novel, I was obviously going to get around to reading this one. This was one of those novels that I went back and forth between loving and hating because I absolutely LOVED it until I got to a certain point and then I was so abnormally angry with this novel that I almost threw it out the window. I'm not lying. I was that pissed off about it.

I've loved all of Flynn's novels before but the writing in this novel was superb. It was seriously such an incredibly complex and well-written novel. I'd promise myself only "one more chapter" and that would almost always turn into five more chapters. Flynn has a way with her narrative voice that makes it impossible to not get addicted to reading her novels...especially this one. Nick and Amy are so intricately written, so deviously deceptive, so... irrevocably interesting. If I could possess just of fifth of Flynn's writing abilities, I'd be in good shape. Seriously. Not only are her books worth reading for pleasure, but they're worth studying because every writer should aspire to write novels the way that she does. She completely charms the pants off of her readers and invites them into her disturbing, crazy, fictitious world. The twist and turns in this book are some of the best I've ever seen in a novel. Just when you think you have things figured out--you have no effing clue what's about to pop up. The characters are a particular place of controversy for me because even though I absolutely hated one character...I also had to love to hate her because Flynn was just that good about writing the character. It's hard not to appreciate the talent it takes to write such a reprehensible character like she does. Really, the thing I loved MOST about this novel is how it messes with your mind. I couldn't stop thinking about what I was reading, the situations the characters were going through and every night as I set the book aside, it's what I fell asleep thinking about and it's what I woke up thinking about. Then, after I finished it, even as I'm writing this review, I can't get certain things out of my mind. This is the kind of book I live for.... the kind that won't get the hell out of my brain even though I finished it months ago.

Honestly, the ONLY thing I can complain about, (and it's a rather large complaint) is the ending. I've thought about it long and hard and while I've read many many reviews that both loved and hated the ending, I can only speak for myself when I say that I HATED the ending. I hated it. The ending is the thing that caused my coveted 5 star rating down to a 3.5 or 4 star rating. I've said it many times before and I've even campaigned for more authors to do the sort of ending that Flynn gave in this novel, however... I just couldn't dig it this time. I was so pissed off. I felt gypped, I felt betrayed and I felt like I invested a lot of time, emotion and brain power in this novel to have such a cheapened experience with the ending. I can't really elaborate any further because it's almost impossible to say anything else without giving spoilers and this is a book that deserves to be read from beginning to end without spoilers but I can't write this review confidently without giving my honest opinion and that is the ending friggin sucked. Okay, rant over.

Overall, I had to go ahead and give a 4 star rating because I really did love 3/4 of the novel. And regardless of the ending, it was stellar book with impeccable writing. Gillian Flynn has shot to the top of my favorite authors even with the little ending mishap. I'm not so narcissist to think that everyone will have the same views of the ending as I did, so I HIGHLY recommend you give this book a try and see if you loved the ending. I know a lot of people who did. In all honesty, I can totally see why this book was all people could talk about. Give a try. Let me know what you think.