jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - Jesse Andrews Originally posted at my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

The title of this book is a little misleading. You might think you're getting yourself into a deep, philosophical novel about dying, mourning, grief, forgiveness. But really, it's not about any of those things. I mean, technically it IS about someone dying, but it really feels like that's just a tiny piece in a large puzzle. This book was FUNNY. I'm talking laugh out loud, holding my stomach kind of funny. Greg Gaines, the main character and narrator of the story is hilarious. He's self-deprecating, snarky, crude and so immature. But he is one of the most unique narrators of a story I've read in a while. His voice was so formed, so fresh that I couldn't help but fall a little in love with Greg. Especially when he started talking about how he wasn't afraid to show his films to other people...he just wanted to wait until they were actually good. Sounds like someone I know (aka...me). Greg's relationship with Earl and Rachel is different and I really liked the exploration and journey that these relationships go through. Really this book is just a funny, quick read. I was able to kind of zone out everything and just enjoy the book without having to think too much or figure out world-building or ulterior motives.

There were a couple points in the book where I thought it went a little overboard. I mean, I enjoy vulgarity and swearing but sometimes it just wasn't funny and it went on for FAR too long. Crude jokes are best when written short and sweet and without explanation and then moving on. Sometimes I felt like the author lingered on the joke to see if we got it.

Overall, I thought this was a really quick, entertaining read. Something you can start and have done in 2-3 hrs. Worth a read if you want to laugh your ass off!

**I received this book free from the publisher through www.netgalley.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.