jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

The Night She Disappeared - April Henry Originally posted on my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

There were 2 major things this book had going for it. 1. That cover. I LOVE it. It's dark, ominous and really beautiful. 2. The fact that it's a YA Thriller and there really aren't that many in the YA world right now. So I was pretty excited to dive into this one. The end result is mixed.

This was a really quick and fast-paced novel which was great. It did grab my attention right away and make me wonder "whodunnit?" My favorite thing about the novel was the way the story was enhanced by the use of external things like evidence sheets, newspaper clippings, 911 transcripts. These are all used to tell part of the story and it's unique and fresh and I loved that part. I also am a big fan of rotating POV's, so I appreciating being in the mind of each character, especially the bad guy.

I had a few really big issues with this novel, the biggest one is feeling like the book wasn't authentic. The bad guy just didn't really feel all that bad--some of the mistakes he made would have been caught by police immediately, he wasn't smart at all and he didn't seem very evil which seems pretty important to me when reading a story like this one. I felt the mystery was rushed and that the minor love subplot wasn't needed AT all. Henry could have gotten away with leaving that out entirely. Basically, I felt like the novel was missing deeper characterization on all accounts, it lacked some motivation and though it was an extremely quick read, I found myself not as excited with the ending as I should have been.

Overall, this was too bad of a YA thriller read, especially for someone just getting into the genre. As far as for someone who is an avid fan of mysteries or thrillers this probably isn't your cup of tea.

**I received this book free from the publisher through www.netgalley.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.