jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

The Book of Blood and Shadow - Robin Wasserman Originally posted on my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

This book was floating around the blogosphere like crazy last year, and I *finally* got around to reading it. I remembered people getting confused because it came in the rush of books with similar titles-- Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (which I've read and reviewed) and Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo (which I haven't). I felt like people had great things to say about all three of these titles and I can see why this book got great reviews.

The first half of this book BLEW. ME. AWAY. The opening line! The characters! The beautiful, lyrical sentences! I fell for it all. Especially Nora. I really fell in love with her. She was an atypical character for me--a girl who was more concerned with ancient Latin than boys. A girl obsessed with letters from a dead girl instead of drinking or partying. I just loved it. I loved that there was a very creepy, mysterious element to the story right away and that Wasserman worked up to the action. I love historical, mystery type of novels so this one really hit the spot for me.

While I LOVED the first half of this novel, the second half started to sag. I felt bored and skimmed a lot. It's like once the action started--it didn't make things go faster--it slowed it WAY down. Also once the mystery started unfolding--I hate to admit that it started to go above my head a little bit. I felt like I was constantly missing some important piece of information that would make it all make sense but that never came. I had a feeling who the killer was but once it was confirmed--it almost felt anti-climatic. I wish that could have been hyped up some more.

verall, I enjoyed reading this novel. It reminded me of the YA version of The Da Vinci Code which I liked. So if you're a fan of books like The Da Vinci Code or the movie National Treasure (yes, I just went there), you'll LOVE this book. It's a bit different from the other YA stuff out there right now so I recommend giving this one a try!

**I received this book free from the publisher through www.netgalley.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.