jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

Breaking Beautiful - Jennifer Shaw Wolf Originally posted on my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

This was a book I went into without any expectations except that I liked the cover and I knew something bad had probably happened. This ended up serving me very well. I read this book in one sitting, it was that fast of a read. Addicting.

First of all, this has to be one of most addicting books I've read. I have no idea what got into me when I was reading this one, but I just couldn't stop. I read it straight through in one sitting. I was immersed in the story and I just HAD. TO. KNOW. what came next. I'll be honest--it wasn't one of those novels where the writing is super fantastic and there were some definite flaws going on, but omfg, was it addicting. The one thing I absolutely loved and have missed from YA novels is the closeness between siblings. I love that Allie and Andrew were incredibly close in this novel. It becomes of utmost importance but you can just tell by the way they interact and talk how close they are. While I did enjoy how fast-paced this novel was, there were some areas that could have been slowed down to allow for more reader enjoyment. The portrayal of an abusive boyfriend who was beloved by all was fantastic though I wish the author would have pushed it even further. It's like we got a little glimpse but not enough to feel the danger Allie was in. Not enough to feel Trip's accident was justified.

Sometimes Allie's inner monologue irritated me and there were some sentences/dialogue that seemed juvenile or perhaps like the author hadn't gotten a proper editor. Like I mentioned earlier, the slowing down of some sections and more exploration into Allie and Blake's relationship could have enhanced the novel more, but really I don't have any other complaints about the novel.

Overall, I enjoyed this fast-paced YA novel. It kept me hooked, it made me want to read more and by the last page, I was wondering what else Jennifer Shaw Wolf had written. If you like YA mysteries, this is a great place to start.

**I received this book free from the publisher through www.netgalley.com. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.