jadeeby

When Jade Eby Isn't Writing...

The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater Originally posted on my blog Chasing Empty Pavements

This is another book that came highly recommended. Several girls in my critique group read it and loved it. When I received The Raven Boys audio book, I knew I had to listen to it. And let me tell you, it lived up to every expectation I had.

The characters! The premise! The writing! Oh. My. God. Why has it taken me so long to read a Maggie Stiefvater book?! I LOVED this book. And listening to it on audio book was incredible. The characters came ALIVE. I loved how all the characters were so fleshed out. Blue was such a different female character than a lot of the YA out there. She felt more real, more mature. And even though there really *isn't* a love triange...yet... I wanted there to be because I loved two of the characters very much. I couldn't decide who I wanted Blue to love more. Or who deserved her love more. I know a lot of people commented that the build up was too slow, but I loved it. The world building in this novel is incredible and everything has personality. The town of Henrietta, Blue's clairvoyant mother and family members, the churchyard and vision tree. Ahh...it was all done SO WELL. There are some twists and turns I totally didn't see coming and I loved that. I want more of that.

It's hard to choose a "favorite" thing about this novel--but I think my absolute favorite thing is the words. There are some truly amazing lines in this novel. Words that make you feel ALL the feels. Words that make you want to bash your head against something because you didn't think of them first. Words that bring to life the scene in front of you. I'm so very glad this was my first Maggie Stiefvater novel because she's now on my auto-buy list!

Literally, I can't think of anything I disliked about this book. I loved every second of it and I can't wait until the next one is released. Okay, maybe the only thing I dislike is that now I have another series to keep on my radar and obsess over!